Date: 2/13/18 2:22 pm
From: Kevin Lucas <vikingcove...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Grebe's and swallows over Lake Sammamish
Sunday along Lateral C near Toppenish Creek (Yakima County) my wife Mary
Giovanini spotted Violet-green Swallows. I photographed them and Tree
Swallows, leaving a few swallows unidentified. Later in the afternoon, as I
was taking seed in to the Poppoff sparrow patch, I saw both Violet-green &
Tree, along with Barn Swallows. One of the Barn swallows had several white
spots on its back, rump and wings, as well as one on the right side of its
forehead. Seeing it head on, I first thought it was a Cliff Swallow, but my
photos proved me wrong. Another Barn Swallow, with the normal very forked
and spotted tail, had a chin/throat that appeared very light, along with a
breast band like a Bank Swallow. My photos of it were quite poor. I went
back yesterday afternoon and got one look at the breast band swallow, but
had even less luck with photos. I'd seen a swallow make a single pass over
the Union Gap Costco pond two weeks ago, but didn't identify it or get any
photos. I hope I get better at photographing them before I run out of film
;-) Still, it's been pretty neat seeing so many swallows this early in the
year. I guess Winter has sprung.

Also Sunday down at Lateral C x Toppenish Creek, Mary spotted the
Red-shouldered Hawk soaring. As I was photographing it, a Red-tailed Hawk
stooped on it. They both soon joined 3 Red-tails and a Prairie Falcon
soaring in a thermal just south of Pumphouse Road.

A while earlier we'd heard the Black Phoebe calling high in the willows on
the upstream/west side of Lateral C, just north of the bridge. Two birders
were there, and one of them described them seeing a Black Phoebe at that
same time, but low on the opposite side of the road and on the opposite
side of the creek. I've not heard, seen, nor heard of two Black Phoebes
there. I did recently learn of a Black Phoebe there in previous years.

listingaba.org/ethics/

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, Yakima County, WA