Date: 2/13/18 6:13 am
From: William Rowe <rowemb45...>
Subject: Mel Price Dam update
On Monday, Feb. 12, at about midday, there was still a lot of ice in Ellis
Bay and the Mississippi due to the mostly cold weather over the past week
-- and yet the gull population seemed way down. Both above and below the
dam, on both sides of the river, Ring-billed Gulls were in the mid-100's,
with correspondingly fewer Herring Gulls. The swirling mass of gulls over
the spillway had become much sparser.

Nevertheless, there were still at a least a couple of individuals of the
uncommon species. I found one first-cycle Lesser Black-back and one adult
Iceland (Thayer's) Gull working back and forth at the spillway. Photos are
in my eBird list for that hotspot (Melvin Price Lock and Dam 26).

I noticed in passing that the open pools in Ellis Bay held a number of
swans, too, so they certainly aren't all gone.

Bill Rowe

St. Louis

<rowemb45...>

mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>