Date: 2/12/18 12:19 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Photos of a once great shorebird and duck area in Portland
I should add that much of the same fate would have occurred to Oaks Bottom, but for the efforts of the then conservation director of Portland Audubon, Mike Houck, and the people he organized to lobby for the creation of a nature reserve.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 1:10 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:
>
> I mentioned the “Mock's Bottom Wetland", and other lost great bird and birding locations to Jay Withgott a few months ago while looking for the Virginia’s Warbler. Scroll well down to see the Mock’s Bottom Wetland in the part of the article with Swan Island, published in The Oregonian earlier today. An ODFW guy named Frank Jacox used to cover it to good effect on Portland CBCs. If it was still there it would be a constant attraction for Portland birders. I recall hundreds of dowitchers and loads of yellowlegs as well as peeps.
>
> Other than Harry Nehls, does anyone else remember this lost birding treasure? Dave Irons…is this even before your time…? 😉
>
> http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/02/vintage_aerial_photos_show_how.html#incart_m-rpt-2
>
> (Maybe I will do a series regarding the lost birding areas of the Portland area.)
>

> Jeff Gilligan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!