Date: 2/12/18 9:54 am
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] N. Shrike & Harrier - Willow Spring Open Space (Arapahoe)
I took one of my dogs out for a cold, foggy walk at Marjorie Perry Nature
Preserve & Willow Spring Open Space in Arapahoe Co. this morning (2/12). I
didn't hear or see much at the preserve. The best sightings were a tree
full of magpies and crows mobbing a Red-tailed and some distant birders
that I couldn't positively ID (though based on equipment and other field
marks, I suspect David Hill & Cynthia Madsen).

My walk around Willow Spring Open Space didn't yield much until the end,
when I glimpsed the open space's Northern Shrike dive from a conspicuous
perch and disappear into the brush. Soon after, a Northern Harrier,
coursing over the marsh and grasses, cut close to us, flying just beyond
arm's reach. This is the first time I've seen a harrier appear to hunt in
my suburban portion of westish Arapahoe. (All my previous local sightings
were flyovers.) And it was certainly the closest I've ever been to this
bird. Even my dog appeared to watch it pass by...

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO