Date: 2/10/18 6:47 am
From: B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Cranes in Franklin Township + more crane habitat lost? Plus loss of Chimney Swift habitats.
John Collins noted in an earlier posting:

"I was very disappointed to see an excavator and numerous holes being
made in the corn field on Randolph Road which is one of the favorite
fields for the Sandhills when corn has been planted there. What is
going on there?"

I'm not surprised. Development has been creeping down that side of
Randolph Road in the five years I've been driving past there. :-(

Bernie Sloan
Highland Park

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 6:07 PM, John J. Collins <jjcbird...> wrote:
> I saw 4 SANDHILL CRANES at the Zaraphath corn fields and 3 more SANDHILLs in
> the corn field at Schoolhouse Road in Franklin Township (Somerset County)
> this afternoon. I was very disappointed to see an excavator and numerous
> holes being made in the corn field on Randolph Road which is one of the
> favorite fields for the Sandhills when corn has been planted there. What is
> going on there?
>
> Recently here in Raritan Borough, the Washington School has been taken down,
> along with its chimney which was host to breeding CHIMNEY SWIFTS and to
> hundreds of CHIMNEY SWIFTS in the fall season. Also demolished recently was
> another chimney (a square one) the swifts used at a location on Orlando
> Drive by the Raritan River - a result of the town suing to have the building
> demolished (the chimney was part of same) as a result of a fire at that
> location a while back. I suspect there will be less swifts in town next
> season?
>
> John J. Collins
> Raritan, NJ
> <jjcbird...>
> "God desires that all the world be pure in his sight.
> The earth should not be injured.
> The earth should not be destroyed." (St. Hildegard of Bingen)
> "I will sing to the Lord all my life;
> I will sing praise to my God while I live." (Ps. 104:33)
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi