Date: 2/10/18 5:49 am
From: HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: NOT a Least Grebe at Lake Carl Blackwell
At least 4 birders from OKC went to Lake Sam Blackwell in the late AM ( 11:00) and searched for the "grebe in question" we saw a grebe that looked like the one pictured. Light was very good and after a lot of discussion we all concluded it was a PBGR, although slightly atypical.

Personally , I was satisfied and went on my way to Keystone Dam in search of the red crossbills. Luck was with me as I spotted 6-7 birds in the pines there about 2:30 right along the road about 2/3 of the way toward the next cross street.. The first one to show was a "yellow" variety that flew in to within 10 feet and landed in a small bare tree just to check out my "flock call" ( iBird Pro). More flew over and they spent the next 15 minutes on a large pine with many cones where they had a feeding frenzy. I found it interesting to watch as several of them( all red ones) plucked seeds from the cones. They would pull out a seed, clip off the attached "wing" and eat he seed. I watch one bird in particular for a few minutes. It downed a seed every 3-4 seconds. It was easy ( and interesting ) to count the twirlling "wings " as they fluttered to the ground.

Hal Yocum, Edmond

> On February 9, 2018 at 4:21 PM Scott Loss <scottrloss...> wrote:
>
> "Early hatching" might have been the wrong term as it probably didn't hatch in 2018. However, this is clearly a juvenile bird as it hasn't attained adult features (bill and body are too small). As suggested by Doug Wood in a comment on the OOS facebook page, this could actually be a late-hatching bird from 2017.
>
> Scott Loss
> Stillwater
>

> Hi, Scott
>
> It is likely that your bird is a small, non-breeding pied-bill. A recently hatched bird would likely have the remnants of a striped head.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Tom Curtis

Join us on Facebook!