Date: 2/9/18 7:11 pm
From: Andrew Thomas <andy.t...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Kauai birding (off-topic)
Kilauea Lighthouse on the North Shore is supposed to be good for pelagic birds, but I haven't been there. For native forest birds, Koke'e State Park, and the many hiking trails in that area, used to be a pretty good place to see Apapane, Amakihi, Akekeke, I'iwi and maybe a few others. I haven't been there in years, though, so I don't know how likely you are to find these species any more. I'm sure there are other good places as well. You may miss the wintering kolea (Pacific Golden Plover), but if you're lucky you may find one or two that are over-summering. When in residence, they are common in lawns and other open spaces even at low elevations. Most of the non ocean-going species below about 2000' will be introduced.

> On February 9, 2018 at 6:10 PM Brandon Green <brandon.green18...> wrote:
>
> I’m going to be in Kauai later this month plan on birding there. If anybody knows of any good places on the island, I’d love to hear about them. Please reply offline.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

Join us on Facebook!