Date: 2/9/18 3:27 pm
From: Nancy Obryan <nancy.obryan...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Hybrid Inca/Mourning Dove? (Tucson Estates near Tucson Mountain Park)
I got this message from someone who has banded many doves:

This is a Mourning Dove that is replacing the two longest central retrices (tail feathers). It appears to be an adult male. I have captured and banded over over 10,000 of this species in Arizona and another 30,000 in Colorado. I have also banded Inca Doves, and 2,000+ White-winged Doves.

It really is not scaled but shows a pattern of new and older feathers as it is completing its' annual molt. Thus, the 'scaled' appearance.