Date: 2/9/18 9:33 am
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Landa Park Elegant Trogon - recap from midday
Texbirds,
I appreciated Chuck's initial report to confirm that the trogon was,
indeed, still present in Panther Canyon. Thanks, Chuck. Later in the
afternoon seems to be the best time to see the bird as it works its way
down canyon. I think it might make more of a direct flight up canyon to
start this routine over again. At 5:15 PM yesterday afternoon it suddenly
appeared between the fourth and fifth creek crossing on the Panther Canyon
Trail. It then proceeded to sally for insects as it worked its way back and
forth the canyon and trail while moving down canyon. Closer to 5:35-5:40
PM, as it approached the third creek crossing, it flew upslope and out of
view. This is close to where Chuck last saw it around 1:10 PM.

Good luck all!
Justin Bosler
Austin, TX

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler...>
wrote:

> TexBirders,
>
> About 10 to 20 birders spent all morning unsuccessfully searching for the
> Landa Park Elegant Trogon. Several folks staked out the mid-canyon park
> bench where the bird had been seen in previous days. At 1 p.m., I headed
> back down canyon to get some lunch. At 1:10 p.m., where two park benches
> flank the trail on each side and there is a cave at the base of the hill on
> the E side of the stream bed, I glimpsed the trogon moving between two
> trees high on the ridgeline to the east, probably 40 to 50 yds off the
> trail. My view was barely 0.5 second, but I’ve seen many trogons in the
> tropics and this was undoubtedly a trogon. I glimpsed the shape and some
> bronzy reflection off the long tail in the hazy afternoon sun. At the
> time, VERY loud construction noise was ongoing within 100 yds on the nearby
> plateau top. I could not relocate the bird immediately so I ran back up
> canyon and alerted several birders. For the next 2 hrs, further searches
> were unsuccessful. I departed at 3:15 p.m
> .
>
> The Travis RBA reported at 5:19 p.m. that the trogon was once again being
> seen “halfway up Panther Cyn Trail”.
>
> Happy Chasing!
>
> Chuck Sexton
> Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at

> from the List Owner

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!