Date: 2/7/18 10:41 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: PHOTOS: Steller's Eider from Neal Maine
The first photo of the bird standing on the rock clearly establishes the age of the bird as first-winter (hatched in 2017). Note the darker fresher mantle and scapular feathers and how those contrast with the paler retained coverts and flight feathers. Also notice the small and rounded coverts (creates a scaly look). This sort of covert pattern is typical in young waterfowl.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 7, 2018, at 4:15 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
>
> All three of the photos Neal sent me are now posted at:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42575302
>
> --
> Mike Patterson
> Astoria, OR