Date: 2/7/18 2:55 pm
From: Pat <pvaldata1...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Tripod...
Oh, that's too bad. It was a great choice for those of us who can't spend thousands od dollars on optics.
Pat
Pat ValdataCrisfield, MD
-------- Original message --------From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...> Date: 2/7/18 4:16 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Pat <pvaldata1...> Cc: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>, JimC <jimcancil...>, Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Tripod...
When we we were in Madagascar in 2015, our guide Ken Behrens highly recommended that scope.  However, when I recently contacted him to confirm the model (since we are also looking for a smaller travel scope) he wrote back. - this less than a month ago:
“I was really impressed with the 65mm Vortex scope. Unfortunately, Vortex over-thought things, and replaced that with a new model, which is vastly inferior. The old model is tough to find, except maybe second-hand. “
Not sure exactly what he means by “overthinking” but worth keeping in mind, I respect Ken’s opinion 100%
Gail MackiernanSilver Spring, MD

Sent from my iPad
On Feb 7, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Pat <pvaldata1...> wrote:

I've had that setup for two years now, and I'm very happy with it.
Pat
Pat ValdataCrisfield, MD
-------- Original message --------From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...> Date: 2/7/18 3:32 PM (GMT-05:00) To: JimC <jimcancil...> Cc: Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Tripod...
On 2/7/18, JimC <jimcancil...> wrote:
> As she is 98lbs and no youngster, weight is a concern.  We have a fairly
> heavy tripod for a DSLR and a monopod — neither suitable.   Perhaps you have
> light one you prefer.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
*************************************
I've excerpted a portion of a 2015 MD Birding "scopes discussion" from
"Pat" that makes mention of a nifty sounding tripod:

Hi guys,

You responded to my request for information about spotting scopes. On
Christmas Day I opened my present to find the scope I had hoped for
(considering the

budget): a Vortex Razor HD 65 mm zoom. It came with a Manfrotto carbon
fiber tripod and their lightweight fluid head. The whole setup weighs
about 7 pounds

and is lighter than my former tripod alone.

The first bird I scoped with it was my life Vermilion Flycatcher. I am
very happy!

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, and happy new year birding!
Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter