Date: 2/6/18 5:14 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Tuesday
A beautiful day at St. Marks NWR. In six hours starting at 10:00 am I
logged 88 species while doing a combination of free lance birding and
shorebird survey. My ostensible purpose was to run the SMNWR Interior Pools
route on the annual state-wide shorebird/seabird survey. Shorebirds were a
little light, but I recorded 2,273 birds of 17 species, which included
cormorants, gulls and pelicans. Some highlights of my day were:

*Stony Bayou II*

Teal (Gw & BW)

American Black Duck

Mallard

Northern Pintail

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Hooded Merganser

Killdeer

BB Plover

Greater Yellowlegs

Sora (calling in midday along the North levee)

Vermilion Flycatcher (female on the South levee)

Mounds Pool III

Teal (GW & BW)

American Black Duck

Mallard

BB Plover

Dunlin

Yellowlegs (Greater & Lesser)

Sandpipers (Least & Western)

Dowitchers (Greater & Lesser)

Willet

Tower Pond

BB Plover

Semipalmated Plover

Dunlin

Yellowlegs (Greater & Lesser)

Sandpipers (Least & Western)

Dowitchers (Greater & Lesser)

Willet

Dunlins comprised almost two thirds of the shorebirds with SB Dowitchers,
Western Sandpipers and Willets filling in most of the rest. Killdeer were
notably sparse.

I had two Red-cockaded Woodpeckers on the North/South road just beyond the
Helispot and a cooperative Virginia Rail on Headquarters Pond. If you’re
looking for ducks, hit Lighthouse and Picnic Ponds, then check the South
end of Mounds Pool III to get Black Duck, Mallard and Hooded Merganser.

Good Birding

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL