Date: 2/6/18 1:13 am
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Canton Lake
I had been to RRC state Park 2 days before and walked the entire canyon. I flushed the barred owl as I walked up the old nature trail at the north end. It flew to my left a bit and sat in a large cedar tree . It watched me go by and was still there when I came back down the trail 15 minutes later. As I watched it the darn bird called a couple times, but stayed put.
My car was at the south end of the park and as I walked south another barred owl started to call from the west side of the canyon. The 2 owls called back and forth a couple times.
That was nice to hear .
I dipped on the black phoebe that day as well. Did see a couple winter wrens along the creek though.
Had a great day on Sat. With 50 species. Brian and I spotted a ferruginous hawk at roadside as we drove to RRSP. Did anybody else catch sight of that?
Hal

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:32 AM, Steve Davis <spd8109...> wrote:
>
> Thanks to Larry for getting us out Saturday, despite the cold and wind. It finally turned into a warmer, sunnier, calmer day by the time we ended the trip at Red Rock Canyon.
>
> And, as is often the case, thanks to those birders who left early, so the "bird of the day"--a Barred Owl--would show up for the rest of us.
>
> --steve d and mary l
>
>> On Feb 4, 2018 6:22 AM, "Larry Mays" <larrymays1949...> wrote:
>> Twelve of us suffered chilly morning temps and a bitter, biting south wind to bird around Roman Nose State Park, Canton lake, and, later in the day, Red Rock Canyon State Park.
>> For the most part, the birding was unexceptional (normal? I'm spoiled by a winter of rarities) but we slowly tallied a respectable list.
>> At Roman Nose we got delightful looks at Fox Sparrows along with robins and waxwings coming in to drink. Picked out Common Yellowthroat and Swamp Sparrow from their snug concealment in the cattails.
>> Canton Lake started with a small disappointment as the dam, where I had hoped to both freeze and check out the waterfowl, was closed to through traffic, but we consoled ourselves by dropping down to the first campground and getting nice looks at a reasonably cooperative sapsucker. Twitched up a couple Chipping Sparrows, and an expected run of juncos, cardinals and such.
>> Worked along the east side of the lake a bit and discovered the most abundant species along the shore seemed to be Ring-necked Duck (almost exclusively males, for whatever reason). One lone Lake Guy (or Lonely Lake Guy) from whom I seemed unable to escape, devoured my attention while everyone else got to bird a bit and pick up several more species. Was saved by Steve who called me away, briefly, then finally we just had to disentangle from Lonely Lake Guy's embrace and beat a hasty retreat.
>> I now know that there are dangerous hogs, a black panther or two, and seedy politicians prowling the area. Good stuff to know, eh?
>> Back through Canton and over to the west side where, by noon, mercifully, the wind had died down, the sun burst out, and lunch was taken. One cooperative roadrunner later, we stopped for prairie dogs, and a look or two at the lake. Not a lot of birds, but we scraped, scooped, or scoped up some Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes and a cormorant or two.
>> On over to Big Bend Campground and the boat ramp where Hal found us our first of two Bald Eagles at such a distance only an eagle-eyed guy like Hal Yokum could locate them. It was Jennie Brooks's first look at an Okie Bald Eagle, and I apologized for the fact that it looked like a tiny black dot topped with a tinier white dot.
>> We drove a bit west from there hoping for Sandhill Cranes, but dipped on them.
>> Back through Canton for yet another pit stop and south to...
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!