Date: 2/4/18 8:21 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Glaucous-winged Gullamook
Hi-
I posted a photo of an adult Glaucous in a field right off Hwy 8 about 3
miles east of Tillamook
a few years ago. (The year of the report of the Steller's Eider in Netarts
Bay which brought
me over there.) Wonder if it could be the same bird. My photos were too
distant for a good
view.
Bob OBrien

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:

> Hi, Phil -
>
> I think that with regular inspection the Tillamook dairy pastures would
> yield a lot of interesting gulls - also maybe Rusty and Yellow-headed
> blackbirds, winter Cowbirds, etc.
>

> Interesting that that area/farm on Yellow Fir is still attracting gulls.
> Maybe they spread manure frequently.
> .
> I have attached a photo of the adult Glaucous. - maybe a little
> overexposed.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 2/4/2018 5:21:45 PM, Phil Pickering <philliplc...> wrote:
> I spent some time Saturday (2/3) around mid day and again
> this morning (2/4) pasture birding east/south of Tillamook,
> mostly trying to sort gulls while fighting visibility in heavy drizzle.
> There are conservatively at least 4000 gulls using pastures
> in the area widely spread in various spots, with 2000+ seen in
> multiple spots along McCormick Loop. Didn't notice anything
> rare.
>
> Flocks were dominated by uniformly pure-looking, mostly adult
> Glaucous-winged, sampling 60% or more. Interestingly Thayer's
> were easily the 2nd most numerous at 15-25%, with lesser numbers
> of Mew, Herring, and G-w hybrids (Olympic or G-w x Herring)
> mixed in. Only saw a handful of Western and Cal and only noticed
> 1 Ring-billed. The Thayer's were more mixed age-wise than the G-w
> with many being juv.
>
> Best moment was a drive up mixed group of 300 in the parking
> area/puddles leading to the UPS Center off of Long Prairie Road
> that allowed very close scope study.
>
> Also multiple impressive but distant blackbird flocks. Scanned for
> large falcons but only saw damp-looking Eagles.
>
> On the way up on Saturday at or near the spot where Wayne
> Hoffman stopped on 1/15 in a small pasture adjacent/west of
> 101 between Yellow Fir and Old Mill Roads there was a flock
> of 200 gulls including presumably the same 1st-cycle Glaucous
> he found and at least 70 Thayer's. No luck with the adult
> Glaucous.
>
> Also on the way Sat. a flock of 9 Semipalmated Plovers pretending
> to be Killdeer in a 101 pasture just south of the Little Nestucca.
>
> Phil

Join us on Facebook!