Date: 2/4/18 2:45 pm
From: Brian Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Thames River on Sunday
This afternoon I stopped at the Thames River along Poquetanuck Cove and at the marina in Norwich.  At Stoddard Hill one juv. cooper's hawk almost had me for a much larger hawk as his size was impressive.  Goldeneyes, common, hooded and red-breasted mergansers, some American black ducks, buffleheads were seen up and down the river.  Noisy American crows the whole time.  Once I looked into Poquetanuck Cove I confirmed a red-throated loon and at least three others active further downriver, either in flight or diving.  At the marina in Norwich more than a handful of common and red-throated loons were seen.  Many young gulls and mallards on the docks here.  One black vulture seen across the river from the cove and another flying downtown on west main.     Brian Williams
Griswold