Date: 2/4/18 11:27 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: OBSERVED: GET AROUND MALE LONG-TAILED DUCK OF BEAVER LAKE
An adult male Long-tailed Duck, in winter plumage, with a long tail, was foraging with Buffleheads (8), then by himself, in the Prairie Creek area of Beaver Lake, this morning. Joan Reynolds and I had pulled off highway 12, onto a gravel bar that is immediately east of the highway 12 bridge (there is a popular boat ramp on the west side of this bridge), to scan what we assumed were Buffleheads and Goldeneyes (5), then spotted the Long-tailed Duck.

Is this the same male with a long tail seen by Nancy Felker off Ventris on January 21? Or by Rod Wittenberg off Lost Bridge South January 28? Would be interesting to know, but alas Ö one thing for sure, we donít seen Long-tailed Ducks on Beaver very often, especially males with long tails.

This is a sure enough arctic sea duck, come south all the way from the arctic areas of Alaska and northern Canada. To paraphrase the poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, itís a duck with ďa real tale, and a real tail to tell it with.Ē

Join us on Facebook!