Date: 2/3/18 6:18 pm
From: Alan Kaplan <lnkpln67...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] GGAS First Friday Birdwalk February 2, 2018
Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Feb 2, 2018, 8:30 AM - 11:40 AM

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, February 2, 2018. Groundhog Day!
Walk to Jewel Lake and back again. Guest Phyllis E. came from Cleveland, OH.

Bird o' The Day was a Red-naped Sapsucker. George S. has pictures.

Groundhog saw his shadow, his old-soul, and returned to his den and will re-emerge without it and start spring, again (we hope sooner, rather than later!). See "Totemism and Civic Boosterism in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, 1899-1909" by Christopher R. Davis [Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, vol 68, number 2, April 1985] [available on-line].
Here are the 35 species seen by 37 observers:

Mallard
Bufflehead
Great Blue Heron flyover at the start of the walk
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Virginia Rail
Band-tailed Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Acorn Woodpecker
Red-naped Sapsucker Seen at the Cotoneaster at the meeting place; George S. has photos, Johan L. saw it, too. I didn't see it, but these others are sure that's what they saw. You can go to "The Avianist" website to see George's photos, I think.
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Pacific Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Varied Thrush
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Townsend's Warbler
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
California Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Lesser Goldfinch

Best of Boids and Marmots!
Alan Kaplan

To contact the list Administrator go to: <EBB_Sightings-owner...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)