Date: 2/3/18 4:06 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake Calumet Area and Southeast Chicago Lakefront, 2/3 a.m.
I spent the morning checking the Lake Calumet area and the southeast
Chicago lakefront. I've been checking these areas intermittently
throughout the winter and having good luck, which I guess is why I keep
going back. My highlights:

Lake Calumet

Lesser Black-backed Gull - 2 adults, one on the roof of the building
across the street from Deadstick Pond and the other on the Calumet River
visible from the end of Stony Island Avenue
Iceland Gull - 1 adult Kumlien's on the roof of the building across the
street from Deadstick Pond
Glaucous Gull - 1 first cycle on the roof of the building across the
street from Deadstick Pond
Bald Eagle - Several floating around between Big Marsh and the Calumet River

Wolf Lake/William Powers State Conservation Area

Snowy Owl - 2, 1 on the RR tracks and the other on the lake ice just
over the state line in Indiana

Calumet Park

Great Black-backed Gull - 3 adults skirting the border between Illinois
and Indiana
Bald Eagle - 1 adult skirting the border between Illinois and Indiana
Greater Scaup - 100s, mostly in Indiana waters
Snowy Owl - 1 on the breakwater in Indiana waters

Steelworkers Park

Snowy Owl - 2, 1 on the breakwater in Indiana waters and the other in
the impoundment in Illinois
Iceland Gull - 1 adult Thayer's at the west end of the North Slip

The boat slip called North Slip can be viewed from the public sidewalk
that parallels South Lake Shore Drive. Most of this area is private
property; if you enter you will probably get chased off by security.

Rainbow Beach Park

A few Greater Scaup and Redheads in the lake. Otherwise nothing else of
note but the park has had Snowy Owls this winter.

31st Street Beach

Nothing of note but I did see a Snowy Owl on Northerly Island from here.
I have a feeling the regular Snowy Owls were present but hiding behind
the harbor wall to get out of the wind.

I ended up with 6 Snowy Owls for the day, one of my better daily counts.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)