Date: 2/1/18 8:33 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Talking Water Gardens Swallows and Teal
The bird on right appears to be a Blue-winged due to cold plumage color
(Cinn Teal are warmer in tone) Strong eye arcs, pale area above eye is
broken in two, large obvious pale loral area, pale throat. Just overall
stronger face pattern.

The Cinnamon Teal on left looks like a first-winter male coming into his
adult plumage aspect.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> I think the question is whether the drake is a pure Cinnamon.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 7:48 AM, <shovelor...> wrote:
>
> What makes you so confident that the hen isn’t a cinnamon hen? From my
> experience they are very similar, and seeing as it appears to be paired
> with a cinnamon drake, and given the wintering location (where a blue wing
> would be quite rare) this seems to be the most likely conclusion.
>
> Not trying to stir things up, but this appears to be a cinnamon teal pair.
> Good birding!
>
> -Jon
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 1, 2018, at 7:09 AM, <jeffharding...> <
> <jeffharding...> wrote:
>
> There were both Tree and Barn Swallows at Talking Water Gardens (Albany,
> Linn County) yesterday. At least two of the Barn and one of the Tree, at
> least two more I failed to get a good look at.
>
> There were two pairs of teal in the central channel. One of the hens was a
> Blue-winged Teal, and the drake Cinnamon with it appeared to have
> Blue-winged traits, extensive spotting on the sides, and a pale area in the
> front of it's face. Here's a photo:
> https://flic.kr/p/FQEGT5
>
> Good birding,
> Jeff