Date: 2/1/18 8:10 am
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Re: Hackberry Birds: Evening Grosbeaks
I live just 2 miles west of the Delaware River, about halfway up the eastern edge of the state. There are hackberry trees in the fencerows on our farm and at places in the woods. There's a relatively big one at the end of our driveway that I can see from my living room window and it gets a lot of activity. Robins, woodpeckers, waxwings, mockingbirds, bluebirds, etc., all use it. But it can be difficult identifying young hackberry trees because their bark looks different when they're young than it often does in mature specimens. Sibley's "Guide to Trees" has good depictions of that.
 Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:24 AM, Rob Blye <rwblye...> wrote:

I agree with Doug that birders and wildlife enthusiasts should also learn
their plants. If nothing else, it helps to point out birds in the forest.
"Look in the top of that white oak to see the cerulean warbler".

I observed hackberry frequently on the floodplain of the mighty Schuylkill
River when I lived there. I too tasted the berries and they are sweet.

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Marcy Cunkelman <plant4nature...>
wrote:

> The reason I got a hackberry tree was because I had both of the emperors
> here before I had a tree. Need to see if I can find some down over the
> hill. I am not familiar with this tree.
>
> Another tree the birds have been munching on is the tulip tree and the
> candles.  That tree grows very easily and the seeds seem to fly far from
> the tree.
>
> Birds, butterflies and pollinators all love the habit improvement.  Now to
> get some paw paws growing for me and the zebra butterflies, I will have
> another host plant.
>
>  And we do have the cucumber magnolia at driveway edge and  in our little
> patch of woods.
>
> Thinking spring!!!
>
> Marcy Cunkelman, Indiana co
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 1, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Gross, Douglas <dogross...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marcy,
> > I do not propagate Northern Hackberry or know much about its growth.
> Hackberry grows best in rich bottomland forests but also will grow on
> hillsides.  Each tree has flowers of both sexes.  But, I would bet that it
> is better for multiple trees to be planted at a location to mix with the
> usual silver maples & sycamores of these woods.
> > I’ve seen many hackberry trees in woods along the Susquehanna river
> including places like Bloomsburg town park, the Berwick brewery (which
> overlooks the river), Susquehanna Riverlands, and along the Susquehanna
> Warrior Trail in Luzerne County.  I am sure that they grow at many
> locations along the main branch of the Susquehanna and along other streams
> in the state as well as parks and game lands. They must be common on
> islands, too. Birds distribute the seeds through their digestive tract so
> seedlings grown in a lot of places that might not be optimum for growth.
> > Yes, I  have seen hackberry emperors in Susquehanna Riverlands.
> > When I have led bird walks, I’ve often been the only person on the walk
> who knew what this species was and that it was a good wildlife plant.
> That’s why I’ve chimed in.  It is good for birders to be better botanists.
> >
> > I also like the cucumber magnolia tree or cucumber-tree (Magnolia
> acuminata) that can grow pretty large and produces odd sausage-shaped green
> fruits that wood ducks and other birds consume.
> >
> > Doug Gross
> > Columbia County

Join us on Facebook!