Date: 1/31/18 5:52 pm
From: Bob Friedrichs <bird.fried...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Snowy Owl returns...sitting on top of Conns
Dr Arnold:

No pellets observed today but just before flying the bird gave a squirt from the other end. Not sure that would be easy to collect or very informative 😀. That said, it does suggest that the bird is eating something. Plumage, feet and beak, eyes all looked healthy from our vantage point, though the bird did not seem to be enjoying the 60F weather; panting a bit.

I searched some under the birds apparent favorite perch near Discount Tire. I say this because there were at least 6 large white poop spots under this wooden power pole by the highway (unlike the smaller rounder grackle poop spots). I found nothing here that I would consider an owl pellet. But I did find bits of fur that could’ve been rabbit or ground squirrel. Would the SNOW eat larger prey like this? It certainly seems to have the necessary equipment to take down a rabbit. If it’s eating larger prey would there still be (as many) pellets? Seems like there might be some larger bones discarded. Anyway, I’m happy to send you the fur I collected if interested. Of course there is probably no way to be sure that the fur belonged to any SNOW dinner.

If there are pellets, and there certainly should be, part of the difficulty finding them is that the bird seems to move around a lot within its chosen area. Justin Bosler mentioned this too. Interestingly, there is a fair bit of dog poop (long term hotel guests walking their dogs) in the area and I’m wondering if it’s possible that dogs are eating the pellets?.?. Or the pellets are just blowing away; it’s pretty windy in W Texas as you know.

Perhaps others will have better luck locating pellets.

Thanks
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios

Sent from Bob's iPhone