Date: 1/31/18 12:04 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Snowy Owl returns...sitting on top of Conns
Keith and Texbirds,
I had no luck when I searched locations where I thought the owl had been
photographed during the morning hours. I, unfortunately, never saw the owl
at a "day roost" and I was searching at night with a headlamp, so I was
largely going in blind. Most pellets would be cast at such a site after a
night of hunting. A lot of people assume that Snowy Owls are diurnal
predators when, in fact, they are predominantly nocturnal. I, as well as
others, overheard folks expressing concern that the owl wasn't eating.
Well, that would be an unusual occurrence in the middle of the day in
Odessa. And that's how rumors get started about the supposed declining
health of the bird. So I encourage those birders who live nearby and have
taken multiple trips to see it so far to spend a little time and search for
a pellet.

Good luck!
Justin Bosler
currently in Southland, TX