Date: 1/31/18 9:28 am
From: Logan Kahle <logan...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Richmond 1/30 rare Scoters, continuing Winter Wren
Hi all,

I have visited Pt. San Pablo several times in the past week and found a
couple locally interesting birds.

1/23 (primarily searching to see if the Albatross would pass under the
Richmond Bridge)

Red-throated Loon-54
Brandt's Cormorant-1

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42186445

1/28:

Great Horned Owl-1
Peregrine Falcon-2 seemed like a pair. Maybe nesting on the Richmond Bridge?
Tree Swallow-1 appeared to be a spring migrant
Winter Wren-1

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42326825

1/30:

Yesterday I did a tour around Richmond and some other areas of Western
Contra Costa. With light NE winds and no marine layer I opted out of Pt.
Isabel and the southern Bayside and instead worked mostly around the
northern parts of richmond.

I started the morning at Point San Pablo. I started at the oaks, worked
down to the marina and up some of the adjacent slopes and trails, back
through the oaks spending a good amount of time searching through the
large Scoter mass that has accumulated north of the point, stopped
briefly at the pond, hit the neighborhoods, and finally the county park.
At dawn, the continuing WINTER WREN was sounding off around the hairpin
turn at (). The bird has been pretty dependable here my last few visits,
but seeing it remains nearly impossible. There is a large oak with a
hollowed understory on the left (east) side of the road here that you
can climb into and theoretically see the bird. Highlights here included:

Lesser Scaup-2
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER-1 or possibly 2 in with scoter swarm. Without a very
good scope, at the distance of these scoters it is very hard to pick
through them on the water. When they fly, however, it is much easier.
LONG-TAILED DUCK-1 female in with scoter flock
Red-throated Loon-12
Brandt's Cormorant-23 on West Brothers Island
Sharp-shinned Hawk-1
Black-bellied Plover-4
Semipalmated Plover-1 was my first here this winter
Killdeer-2
Black Turnstone-11
Dunlin-104
Least Sandpiper-1
Western Sandpiper-8
Spotted Sandpiper-1
Peregrine Falcon-1
WINTER WREN-1 continuing bird

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42367027

An interesting phenomenon in the past week or so has been the
concentrations of RED-THROATED LOONS around the Richmond area. In the
past, I have once noted numbers like this, but never for sustained
periods of time. I have not spent large chunks of time baywatching, but
the largest period (1 hour) on the 23rd produced 54 Red-throated Loons,
and most scans of the bay for 10 minutes or so in recent visits have
produced upwards of 10 birds. To the best of my knowledge, this is a
very very large influx of this species into Contra Costa, and possibly
unprecedented in the entire East Bay. According to brief checks of local
listservs and eBird, the only concentrations of this magnitude I could
find on the Bayside were Ron Thorns tallies from Coyote Point, which got
up to 90.

Anyway, I continued on to Miller/Knox, where I was surprised to see very
few birds on the bayside offshore. I guess everything is up by Pt. San
Pablo! Anyway, highlights here included:
Eurasian Wigeon-2 on the pond
Red-throated Loon-23 in 10 minutes on the bayside
Brandt's Cormorant-1
Sharp-shinned Hawk-1
Killdeer-11
Least Sandpiper-1
Allen's Hummingbird-4
Common Yellowthroat-1 was a good bird for the park

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42368774

Continuing to Sandpiper Spit, I decided to count the cormorants roosting
on the Brook's Island Jetty. Interestingly, essentially all seemed to be
Double-crested, quite a difference from the West Brother's Island Roost.
Red-throated Loon-5
Common Loon-1
Brandt's Cormorant-2
Pelagic Cormorant-1
Double-crested Cormorant-2700

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42369268

From there I headed to Canal Boulevard to try to get a better look at
the birds past Brook's Island. There were well over 1000 gulls and as
many ducks just past the island.
Brant-13
Bufflehead-550

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42369775

From there I decided to check out a park I'd never covered before:
Kennedy Grove on the north shore of San Pablo Reservoir. The area was
quite birdy, with several mixed flocks scattered around, but no goodies
mixed in. The reservoir, on the other hand, had plenty of activity:
Northern Shoveler-2
Gadwall-3
American Wigeon-1
Ring-necked Duck-68 was a nice count
Bufflehead-1
Common Goldeneye-3
Spotted Sandpiper-1
Band-tailed Pigeon-1
House Wren-1
California Thrasher-1
Pine Siskin-22 in a single flock

Full eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42371345

I then tried to access the south end of San Pablo Reservoir just to find
that the area was CLOSED! Apparently they open up again on friday.

On my way back west, I decided to make a quick stop at Jewel Lake.
Highlights here included:
Allen's Hummingbird-2
Acorn Woodpecker-1
Downy Woodpecker-1
Pacific Wren-1
Varied Thrush-1

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42373059

Overall a nice tour of west county with 105 species detected.

Good birding,
Logan

To contact the list Administrator go to: <EBB_Sightings-owner...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)