Date: 1/30/18 10:45 pm
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Meeting Reminder - Thursday, February 1st
As a reminder we have our next meeting of the season this coming
Thursday, February 1st @ 7:30 PM. The doors open at 7:00 PM for some
social time and setup.

Fox Library Community Room

The Evolution of Beauty
Richard O. Prum
William Robertson Coe Professor of Ornithology at Yale University

Join us as Richard O. Prum, the William Robertson Coe Professor of
Ornithology at Yale University, explores the science of avian beauty.
The sexual ornaments of birds– including plumage coloration, song, and
display– often evolve through mate choice. The talk will explore
Darwin's theory of mate choice as an aesthetic process in which birds
choose mates purely for their pleasure. The talk concludes that birds
are beautiful because they are beautiful to themselves, and that
animals can be active agents in their own evolution. Richard is the
author of The Evolution of Beauty: How Darwin's Forgotten Theory of
Mate Choice Shapes the Animal World– and Us, which was named one of
the Top Ten Books of 2017 by the New York Times.

If anyone would like to bring a baked item, bought item or drink that
would be fantastic! Please email Carol Thrope at <clt51...> so we
can coordinate our contributions.

Hope to see you there!!!

Paul Ippolito - Woburn

Posted by: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)