Date: 1/29/18 9:54 pm
From: Marcia F. Cutler <marciafcutler...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Pipits at Ankeny NWR
The Corvallis CBC had good results for American Pipits - 1161, with the bulk of them seen either around the Corvallis Airport area or in the Central Linn County area (Willamette River east to Davis Rd and Tangent Sewage Ponds). They were widespread however, seen in 9 of the 14 areas.
There were a lot fewer Horned Larks - 25 - and they were seen mostly in the Airport area with a couple seen in nearby sections.
The day of the count, Dec. 19th, was relatively early in the count period and was the first really rainy day after several rather dry weeks.

Marcia F. Cutler

On Jan 28, 2018, at 8:27 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:

> I have seen flocks of 100+ birds in southern Linn County during winter. I think its safe to assume that thousands of pipits winter out in the south central Willamette Valley, where there are many many square miles (much of it inaccessible to birders) quality pipit habitat. As for Horned Larks, I have almost never seen them, or any other species mixed in pipit flocks. Sadly, not even other species of vagrant pipits. Conversely, lark flocks of Horned Larks are good for yielding the occasional longspur. Just in western Oregon I've seen Lapland, Chestnut-collared and McCown's Longspurs with Streaked Horned Larks. Still looking for that Smith's to complete the set.
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!