Date: 1/29/18 2:40 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Troutdale Harris'/Ruffed Grouse
Hey Brodie,

In the recording, I have a hard time hearing the vocalizations I believe
you are referring to. Besides the Hairy Woodpecker calling loudly, I hear
what kind of sounds like a Bewick's Wren. I'm assuming the volume is too
low to pick up what you were hearing. Have you considered California Quail,
which can be occasionally found in that general vicinty? It seems unlikely
Ruffed Grouse would be in that area, but you never know. I've only had luck
with them in higher elevations in Multnomah County and I am far from
experienced with the species.

Best,
-Nick

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:15 PM Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> The Company Lake Harris's Sparrow was present again today around noon.
>
> Another bird of note was a calling Ruffed Grouse in the woods less than 10
> meters from the Sparrow feeding station. The call was what is described in
> the Sibley app as the female alarm call. It started very rapid fire, as
> I've heard before on Mt. Hood, then slowed to sporadic notes. Only then,
> and in between the planes landing at the airport, was I able to get a
> recording. Feel free to let me know if you hear something different:

> Looking at the ebird maps, it appears they're reasonably common along the
> Sandy River area, and there's one record on the other side of the Sandy
> from Company Lake, but this appears to be as far West as they have made it
> towards Portland's east metro area.
>
> There's still a good amount of seed on the ground, so someone may be able
> to get a view of it if there's a decent break in the dogs.
>
> Good birding,
> Brodie
> Portland

Join us on Facebook!