Date: 1/28/18 8:35 am
From: Daniel Scheiman <birddan...>
Subject: ASCA Field Trip Report - Holla Bend NWR & Lake Dardanelle
The 41 birders on Audubon Society of Central Arkansasıs field trip did not
let rain in the morning dampen our birding spirits. We did decide the fog on
Lake Dardanelle was too dense for birding so we headed to Holla Bend NWR. We
picked out a Rossıs Goose among the flocks of Snow Geese overhead. Northern
Harriers provided many opportunities for study including one perched on a
shrub clump long enough for scope views. A perched Cooperıs Hawk also
allowed scoping its distinctive shape and capped appearance. A ³golf ball²
in the scope was the head of a Bald Eagle sitting on its nest. We didnıt
flush any Short-eared Owls from the prairie by the observation tower, but
the field was aflutter with lovely LeConteıs Sparrows, many allowing long
looks. On Country Loop Rd. much of the brush has been cut from between the
cedars where we normally find a Harrisıs Sparrow among the White-crowned
Sparrows. We didnıt see the former and found only one small flock of the
latter. By mid-afternoon the fog was long gone from Lake Dardanelle but so
were the birds. There wasnıt much notable activity at either Delaware
Recreation Area or the dam besides the usual gang of gulls and pelicans on a
sandbar with a single Northern Shoveler resting among them.

The highlight for me was having 13-year old beginning birder Jake Chandler
and his supportive mother Amy ride with me. Amy contacted me a few days ago
asking about opportunities for her budding birder son. I told her about ASCA
so they showed up. They saw many lifers and asked lots of great questions
about birding and being an ornithologist.

Dan Scheiman
Little Rock, AR

Join us on Facebook!