Date: 1/25/18 8:46 am
From: Katrina Knight <kknight...>
Subject: Re: Birds feeding on hackberries
At 10:39 PM 1/24/2018 Stanley C Stahl wrote:
>I've seen birds feeding on hackberries in the past.

A friend and I watched a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker eating
hackberries earlier this winter. It was having a really hard
time getting them off the tree while hanging from the branches.
After struggling to get them off for a while, it started flying
at the berries, trying to grab them on the wing. When it got
one, it would take it over to another tree with ridges in the
bark, jam it into one of the cracks, and peck at it to break it
open.

--
Katrina Knight
<kknight...>