Date: 1/24/18 3:13 pm
From: Lisa Sheffield Guy <sheffield.lisa...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] sick/deformed Kinglet, Siskins at Burleigh Murray
Beak deformities, especially in chickadees, have been an issue in Alaska
for some time. Here is a bit more info, but the short story is that it may
be caused by a virus leading to a condition called Avian Keratin Disorder.
It also appears to be spreading. The second link gives a place to report
observations of bill deformities.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/twisted-beaks/
https://feederwatch.org/learn/articles/deformed-bills-alaska/

Best,

Lisa Sheffield Guy

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 2:35 PM, <stevejohnson2...>
[peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...> wrote:

> Hello birders,
>
> This morning I visited Burleigh Murray State Park, and found a few PINE
> SISKINS. Overall it was fairly quiet for birds, but I saw something odd.
>

> This is the second RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET I've seen with an apparently
> deformed upper bill. The other one was in Virginia 8 days ago, but the
> exact same appearance.
>

> The bird looked as if it had a third black bill, sticking out at about 45
> degrees, above the "real" upper bill. I dismissed the first one assuming it
> was just something stuck to the bird's forehead. But this one today forms a
> pattern about 2,500 miles across.
>

> Any ideas what I was seeing?
>

> Steve Johnson
>
> visiting from Fairfax, Virginia