Date: 1/24/18 7:24 am
From: Steven Wilson <scwilso35...>
Subject: Re: Ruby-crowned Kinglet in Preston County, Northern Harrier in Hardy County
Seems to be a flurry of Ruby-crowned Kinglet observations. I also saw one
at Edwards Run WMA in Hampshire County on 1/21/2018.

Steven Wilson
Summersville, WV

On Jan 24, 2018 9:53 AM, <mankinsba...> wrote:

Thank you for this posting. I had what I was very certain were two Ruby
Crowned Kinglets last Tuesday, 1/16/18, in Pleasants County in St. Marys.
They were actively feeding in a large Pin Oak in my neighbor's yard. I was
quite surprised when I saw them. There was several inches of snow and cold
temps at the time and my feeders were full of birds. Our development
fronts a ridgeline with woods but to see them this time of year I was
surprised.

Beth Mankins

---- Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> wrote:
> A long day began at the WVU Reedsville Farm in Preston County, where no
> Greater White-fronted Geese, nor any geese at all, were present.
>
> At the Army Reserve wetlands at the headquarters on Route 72 south of
Route
> 7, the Ruby-crowned Kinglet discovered a couple of days ago by David
> Daniels was still present, along with 4 Yellow-rumped Warblers.
>
> Mount Storm Lake was empty of birds, as usual.
>
> At Hogueland Road in Grant County, the only birds present were American
> Crows, Turkey Vultures, and Rock Pigeons.
>
> At Brighton Park south of Moorefield in Hardy County, 2 female Common
> Mergansers were accompanying a male Red-breasted Merganser.
>
> At the end of Webb Lane at Old Fields in Hardy County, 1 gray ghost male
> Northern Harrier was swooping over the fields in the distance.
>
> A bit further north near where Reynolds Gap Road meets Route 220, there
> were 3 American Kestrels within a 2-mile stretch.
>
> At Ridgely in Mineral County, no birds were present on the WV shore, but
> there were hundreds of Canada Geese on the Maryland shore. No white geese,
> no gulls. Not impossible there could have been a Greater White-fronted
> Goose, but the view was distant, and I didn't have time to hike along the
> & O towpath on the Maryland side.
>
> --
> Terry Bronson
> Morgantown, WV