Date: 1/13/18 9:17 pm
From: Chris Conard <conardc...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CVBirds] Worm-eating Warbler
Hi folks,

I haven't seen any reports today (13 Jan 2018) other than on eBird, so
wanted to mention that the Worm-eating Warbler continued. This morning it
took about an hour and a half to turn it up and then it was seen several
times, but typically glimpsed for just seconds at a time. Rubber boots
definitely come in handy along the partially flooded trail. In my previous
experience it was moving loosely with a single Orange-crowned Warbler, but
today it really seemed to be sticking with the Bushtit flock. Usually it
foraged just above ground level to five feet, but a few times it moved up
over 10 feet. It ranged widely in the vicinity of frisbee golf "holes" 3,
2, and 7. Perhaps most interesting was watching it forage, mostly among
dead leaves, and often prying open curled leaves by opening its bill (short
video here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/conardc/24806666407).

This is a remarkable record for Sacramento County and the Central Valley.
It's one of the rarest birds found in the county and a California Bird
Records Committee review species (review list and info about submitting
reports here: http://www.californiabirds.org/review_list.asp). As skulky as
the bird is, more than 50 people have gotten to see it, so that's
remarkable too. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41872294

Not too far away, Dan Kopp first spotted a Red Fox Sparrow along with two
Sooty Fox Sparrows in the thin strip of riparian along the Sacramento River
off of Riverside Blvd near 35th Ave. The approximate location is here
(38.5253722,-121.5266418). The area has pretty good birding and a pathway
that goes from the levee top and through the forest upstream, but be warned
that there are shocking accumulations of garbage and several homeless
camps, plus a feral cat feeding station. The Fox Sparrow is gorgeous, with
quite bright reddish tones on a gray background:

Chris Conard
Sacramento

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:17 PM, 'John and Glennah Trochet'
<trochetj...> [central_valley_birds] <
<central_valley_birds-noreply...> wrote:

> Dear Birders,
>

> The worm-eating warbler was subsequently refound by Dan Murphy and Jim
> Lomax near the south end of the “swamp,” seen from a muddy eastern margin
> of the narrow extension of the lake. It worked its way north along the
> dense, brushy growth there, lingering mainly in areas with concentrations
> of dead leaves. Then, at the point just before the vegetation adjacent to
> the water becomes reeds, it flew back to the northwest.
>

> The bird was known to be covering lots of ground today. That may well be
> typical. If that southern visit was part of a regular circuit, it would be
> a good place to look in the morning when the sun (if the fog ever lifts
> early) would be at your back.
>

> Best,
>
> John Trochet
>
> Sacramento