Date: 1/13/18 1:01 pm
From: Chuck & Lillian <misclists...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Are Regional/County Listservs Still Relevant?
Birders:
Yes, they're still relevant. I read CALBIRDS and
LaCoBirds every day. I try to post only when
necessary. [I have been accused of posting
slightly off-topic items, an accusation which -
IMHO - is lacking a sense of humor.]

I find it very useful for people (it certainly
doesn't have to be the *same* person) to continue
to report on rare birds. I don't get out right
away on rarities, as some people habitually do,
and it might take a week - even two - for me to
get there. It's nice to know the bird is still
there. Driving around fruitlessly in Los Angeles
or SoCal traffic is hazardous to your mental health.

I don't use GPS (no smartphone - Luddites Live!),
but many do, and it seems silly to possess the
exact location info and not share it. Written
descriptions of location PLUS the GPS coordinates
would serve both camps. One can always google at
home the GPS coordinates and write down where it is.

I have found *many many* times that descriptions
given on-line will get you to the general locale,
but then are lacking some crucial detail(s) which
would get you to the bird, if you had them.
Details, please! Put yourself in the birding shoes of someone new to the area.

Chuck Almdale
North Hills, Ca.

At 07:46 AM 1/13/2018, Ken Burton <shrikethree...> [CALBIRDS] wrote:

>Paul,
>
>You raise some good points (thanks for
>venting). Your eBird analysis raises a
>slightly off-topic issue with eBird that bothers
>me and this seems like a reasonable opportunity to share it.
>
>As you point out, eBird hotspots can be quite
>large. eBird reviewers, following eBird
>instructions, ask people who submit rarities at
>more-precise personal locations to move their
>observations to the hotspots or they create new
>"stakeout" hotspots for them and ask observers
>to move them there. For some reason, there's a
>desire within eBird to consolidate rarity
>sightings. I feel this consolidation often
>masks location precision that can elucidate
>valuable movement patterns of these birds, and I
>generally resist these requests (unless the
>existing hotspot is extremely small or my
>sighting was extremely close to its plotted
>location), at least until the bird is gone.
>
>Perhaps someone can explain why having rarity
>sightings clumped into single locations is worth
>erasing the precision of personal locations
>plotted exactly where sightings are made, which
>is especially easy and accurate to do on mobile devices.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ken Burton
>Crescent City
>
>On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Paul Lehman
><mailto:<lehman.paul...><lehman.paul...>
>[CALBIRDS]
><<mailto:<CALBIRDS-noreply...><CALBIRDS-noreply...>
>wrote:

>It is pretty obvious that over the past few
>years that many of the
>local/county/regional/state listservs have
>become less and less relevant to a large number
>of birders, as many of these people have voted
>with their feet….er, fingertips….and moved over
>to other sitestes such as eBird. Not only that,
>but bird information dissemination appears to
>have become MORE fragmented as time goes on,
>rather than less fragmented. We now have the
>local listservs, eBird, WhatsApp/GroupMe text
>messaging groups, Facebook individual and group
>sites, personal Flickr sites, personal and
>private-group text messaging, and even a handful
>of old-school folks who actually still call
>their friends on the phone! Some of these
>services are SUPPPOSED to complement each other,
>e.g., a text-message group that is supposed to
>be used for immediate dissemination of high-end
>rarity information only, and folks are supposed
>to post to it AND to the local listserv in a
>timely manner, but instead the former is used
>almost exclusively and often for more standard
>bird fare, so the general listserv gets only some scraps, if anything.
>
>Using my home-county listserv here in San Diego
>as an example, the number of local birders who
>now rarely if ever post to SanDiegoRegionBirding
>has grown steadily. Most of these folks still
>happily get information from such sources, but
>rarely, if ever, post to it. But a good number
>of these people do submit eBird reports on a
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!