Date: 1/13/18 12:52 pm
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Re: Mountain Chickadees, NW Reno yard
The MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES have come down from higher elevations in my lower
Whites Creek patch. Along with them I have seen BROWN CREEPERS, the 3
NUTHATCHES (PYGMY, RED and WHITE-BREASTED), RUBY and GOLDEN-CROWNED
KINGLETS, FLICKER, DOWNY, HAIRY and WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS. All are
within about a 1km range from Timberline road towards the parking area at
the trailhead with not much activity further up Whites Creek or below
Timberline. Where there are Chickadees there is hope.

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Brian Adams <bra356...> wrote:

> FWIW I've got a handful of Mountain Chickadees gleaning in the Norway
> maple in my front yard this morning. (Wesley Drive off Keystone Ave.)
>
> This is one of my favorite birds. Their wistful three-note spring song, in
> the breezy conifers around Tahoe, is one of the indelible memories of my
> time living there. It's a treat to have them visit my home in Reno.
>
> I once found an active Mt. Chickadee nest, a knothole in the wood siding
> of a tool shed at the empty parking lot of Heavenly North ski area, near
> Kingsbury summit. The hole was at eye level, and the Chickadees regarded me
> as a mere curiosity, pausing to hover smoothly, mere inches from my face,
> as they sortied to and fro ferrying bunches of insects bristling around
> their tiny bills like an organ grinder's moustache.
>
> Brian Adams

Join us on Facebook!