Date: 1/13/18 8:47 am
From: Dick FILBY <dickfilby...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Carbondale Barrow's etc, (Garfield Cty)
Hi all

Sad to hear the latest update from the Grand Junction office of the NWS that large areas of Western Colorado are now officially in SEVERE DROUGHT – not good for farmers, wildlife, (or those downstream who want to water lawn in the desert). Most of the rest of our state is in either MODERATE DROUGHT, or is ABNORMALLY DRY.

This morning I had a chance to go birding briefly:

18 BARROW’S GOLDENEYES – again on the Roaring Fork river, viewed from the road bridge on Catherine Store road, where also..
3 American Dippers – of which at least one was singing persistently

YESTERDAY - Friday
1+ ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK – still between CR103 and the Powers Art Centre, on the pastures above the north side of hwy82, viewed distantly by telescope from NE side of town, they favour the irrigation equipment for perches.
1 SNOW GOOSE still on south side of town with the ‘large’ flock of ca350 Canada Geese, by hwy133 near the Fish Hatchery. I have not yet found any Cackling Geese in the valley this winter.

Good birding!

Dick Filby
Carbondale

Join us on Facebook!