Date: 1/13/18 7:52 am
From: Ken Burton <shrikethree...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Are Regional/County Listservs Still Relevant? [a bit long]
Paul,

You raise some good points (thanks for venting). Your eBird analysis
raises a slightly off-topic issue with eBird that bothers me and this seems
like a reasonable opportunity to share it.

As you point out, eBird hotspots can be quite large. eBird reviewers,
following eBird instructions, ask people who submit rarities at
more-precise personal locations to move their observations to the hotspots
or they create new "stakeout" hotspots for them and ask observers to move
them there. For some reason, there's a desire within eBird to consolidate
rarity sightings. I feel this consolidation often masks location precision
that can elucidate valuable movement patterns of these birds, and I
generally resist these requests (unless the existing hotspot is extremely
small or my sighting was extremely close to its plotted location), at least
until the bird is gone.

Perhaps someone can explain why having rarity sightings clumped into single
locations is worth erasing the precision of personal locations plotted
exactly where sightings are made, which is especially easy and accurate to
do on mobile devices.

Thanks.

Ken Burton
Crescent City

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...>
[CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> It is pretty obvious that over the past few years that many of the
> local/county/regional/state listservs have become less and less relevant to
> a large number of birders, as many of these people have voted with their
> feet….er, fingertips….and moved over to other sites such as eBird. Not only
> that, but bird information dissemination appears to have become MORE
> fragmented as time goes on, rather than less fragmented. We now have the
> local listservs, eBird, WhatsApp/GroupMe text messaging groups, Facebook
> individual and group sites, personal Flickr sites, personal and
> private-group text messaging, and even a handful of old-school folks who
> actually still call their friends on the phone! Some of these services are
> SUPPPOSED to complement each other, e.g., a text-message group that is
> supposed to be used for immediate dissemination of high-end rarity
> information only, and folks are supposed to post to it AND to the local
> listserv in a timely manner, but instead the former is used almost
> exclusively and often for more standard bird fare, so the general listserv
> gets only some scraps, if anything.
>
> Using my home-county listserv here in San Diego as an example, the number
> of local birders who now rarely if ever post to SanDiegoRegionBirding has
> grown steadily. Most of these folks still happily get information from such
> sources, but rarely, if ever, post to it. But a good number of these people
> do submit eBird reports on a regular basis instead. Why only to one? Is
> it the ease of eBird submissions? Is it the instantaneous reporting from
> the field? (But that is also easy to do to a local listserv with any
> smartphone.) Is it that they can easily attach their photos to their eBird
> reports? Is there a widespread belief that posting rarity news only to
> eBird is “enough”? Or for some, are they timid to post publicly, or just
> lazy, or simply don’t care to give back to a listserv from which they got
> information allowing them to see a rare bird? Whatever the reason, recent
> checks on many days since mid-December of the number of posts to the San
> Diego listserv versus the number of county “rarity” alerts coming through
> eBird is something on the magnitude of 1 to 20 or 30 (albeit somewhat
> skewed by the numbers of out-of-town Nazca Booby viewers and local-birder
> 2018 “big year” kickoffs, and by the potential for multiple rarities
> mentioned per a single listserv post but only one species per eBird alert).
> A little of this dichotomy can be explained by the fact that some birds
> such as a semi-tame, multi-year-staying Greater White-fronted Goose at a
> local lake still appears daily on the eBird rare-bird alert—given that it
> is a flagged species—but that virtually nobody would dream of posting its
> continued existence on a regular basis on the county listserv. Or, over the
> past few weeks, the continued presence of Nazca Boobies, a wintering
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!