Date: 1/12/18 12:59 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: FERALS DOGS KILL CALVES AND PIGS IN NEWTON COUNTY
Just every once in a while something appears on television or the paper about how vultures, especially Black Vultures, are a threat to raising livestock, especially cattle, in Arkansas. It seems true enough that vulture-livestock interactions have increased in recent years. As our human populations grow, so do populations of vultures.

Vultures are scavengers and we are putting lots more food out in the environment for them to scavenge. It is our actions that are making the environment better for them.

Sometimes facts catch up with rumor. Just in this morning’s paper (Arkansas Democrat Gazette, January 12, 2018, page 4B) was a headline: “Livestock killed; dog pack sought.” In Newton County, packs of feral dogs have been killing calves and pigs. “One family has lost 31 calves, and other attacks left cattle and pigs dead.” Of course, within a few days, vultures will be seen at these kills. Fortunately, some people have actually seen the dogs at work.

Join us on Facebook!