Date: 1/12/18 6:47 am
From: Steve Walter <swalter15...>
Subject: RE:[nysbirds-l] Queens Gr. White-fronted Goose Update
I was curious to see if any geese came into Alley Pond overnight, and got a
chance to check, with the rain holding off. But only about 10 geese were
there. Seems pretty quick to change roosting spots. The nearest possibility
that I can think of is Lake Success, which is a few miles away. I took a
look at a couple of the spots that I had mentioned. Only a small number were
on the field by Oakland Lake. The ballfields look to be dug up, perhaps
being converted to turf. It doesn't look like a viable feeding spot anymore.
If that's the case, a lot of the local geese could have just moved on. We'll
see. The lawn around the pond should be snowless soon enough.

There were, however, a few new ducks on Alley Pond, most notably a
Canvasback. Having missed a pair that were briefly on Oakland Lake about
five years ago, this is my first one in northeast Queens in maybe 25 years.
They used to winter commonly on Little Neck Bay. Sort of the waterfowl
version of Bonapartes' Gull. But anyway, for local year listers, this could
be easier than some other options.

Steve Walter