Date: 1/11/18 4:57 pm
From: B&PBell <bellasoc...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Eastside Audubon Marrowstone trip
Hi Tweets

Yesterday, Eastside Audubon took a trip to Marrowstone Island and vicinity.
We started out under cloudy skies (although not solid clouds) and 41F. Our
first stop was at the ferry terminal in Edmonds where we saw DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANT, PELAGIC CORMORANT, BRANDT'S CORMORANT, HORNED and EARED GREBEs,
PIGEON GUILLEMOT, COMMON GOLDENEYE, BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, AMERICAN CROW,
BELTED KINGFISHER and WESTERN GREBE. At this time there were starting to be
some breaks in the clouds. On the ferry crossing it was quiet, but we did
have a small group of BRANT and a RED-THROATED LOON.

At the Kingston area we saw RED-NECKED GREBE, WHITE-WINGED and SURF SCOTER,
PIGEON GUILLEMOT, GREAT BLUE HERON, RING-BILLED GULL and AMERICAN ROBIN
(part of the way up the hill out of the ferry terminal).

We made a regular stop at Port Gamble and picked up DARK-EYED JUNCO,
RED-THROATED and COMMON LOON , RED-NECKED GREBE, LONG-TAILED DUCK,
BUFFLEHEAD, MALLARD, HORNED GREBE, HOODED MERGANSER, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER,
SPOTTED TOWHEE, AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, SONG SPARROW, WESTERN
GREBE, EUROPEAN STARLING, FOX SPARROW, BEWICK'S WREN and PACIFIC WREN.

Next on to Salsbury Point County Park, with a few small blue holes in the
sky and a great look at snow on the Olympics under the dark cloud cover.
There we saw a PEREGRINE FALCON, AMERICAN COOT, COMMON GOLDENEYE, SURF
SCOTER, COMMON LOON, MEW GULL, BUFFLEHEAD, RED-NECKED GREBE and a pair of
distant MARBLED MURRELETs.

Shine Tidelands State Park yielded AMERICAN WIGEON, COMMON LOON, BELTED
KINGFISHER, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, SONG SPARROW, PEREGRINE FALCON (that
spooked a nice flock of small finches that we had to really work to i.d.),
PINE SISKIN, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, COMMON REDPOLL. The pair of Marbled
Murrelets was still way out there. Down the road at the end of Seven Sisters
Rd. at the Shine Tidelands/Wolfe Property S.P. access we could see many,
many WHITE-WINGED SCOTERs, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARD, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON
GOLDENEYE, MEW GULL, SPOTTED TOWHEE, and AMERICAN ROBIN.

On State Route 104 on the way up toward Chimacum we saw a COMMON RAVEN. When
we turned onto SR 19 we saw ROCK PIGEON and RED-TAILED HAWK.

Down on the water by Ajax we saw HOODED MERGANSER, BUFFLEHEAD, BELTED
KINGFISHER, GREAT BLUE HERON, and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT.

At Oak Harbor County Park we shivered with a breeze (still 41F) but picked
out STELLER'S JAY, VARIED THRUSH, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, AMERICAN WIGEON (with
a hybrid American/Eurasian in with them), MALLARD, DOWNY WOODPECKER,
BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON LOON, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL (and hybrids), NORTHERN
PINTAIL, AMERICAN CROW, MEW GULL, a single CALIFORNIA GULL, GREEN-WINGED
TEAL. On the distant jetty there were 4 BLACK OYSTERCATCHERs and 30 BLACK
TURNSTONEs.

Around on Indian Island Park there were MALLARD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, the BLACK
OYSTERCATCHERs, BLACK-TURNSTONEs (only a few, the rest were on the other
side of the jetty), BUFFLEHEAD, AMERICAN WIGEON, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GADWALL
and GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

On Marrowstone, at Nordland, we saw RED-TAILED HAWK, ROCK PIGEON, GREATER
YELLOWLEGS (3, two imm. and one adult), BUFFLEHEAD, NORTHERN PINTAIL.

At Mystery Bay State Park there were GREEN-WINGED TEAL, AMERICAN ROBIN,
HOUSE FINCH, STELLER'S JAY, SONG SPARROW and distant LONG-TAILED DUCK. It
was unusual not to see White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows here.

At Fort Flagler there was the usual huge display of shorebirds including
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and DUNLIN with a few SANDERLING thrown in. Also
present were a WESTERN GULL, HARLEQUIN DUCK, COMMON LOON, HORNED GREBE,
BUFFLEHEAD, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT, LONT-TAILED
DUCK (this time close enough to give great looks), WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, SURF
SCOTER, PIGEON GUILLEMOT, COMMON MURRE, PACIFIC LOON, BRANDT'S CORMORANT,
PELAGIC CORMORANT, BRANT, MEW GULL, and finally WHITE-CROWNED and
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWs. Leaving Marrowstone, at the pond near the RV Park
we say AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, MALLARD, NORTHERN PINTAIL, and
NORTHERN SHOVELER.

We finished up the day at Kah Tai Lagoon with MALLARD, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDY
DUCK, AMERICAN COOT and GREATER SCAUP.

We had a fine day with no rain, a bit of sun, some breeze and chill and a
final temperature of 46F. An excellent day with good friends! And 72
species.

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

mail to bell as oc at iso media dot com