Date: 1/11/18 1:45 pm
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Greater White-fronted Geese at Lake Frederick & Loggerhead Shrike at Double Tollgate (Clarke Co.)
13 Greater White-fronted Geese (previously reported) came and went several times today and were all sitting on the ice at Lake Frederick (Frederick County) at 3:45 this afternoon when I last checked. Also present were 3 Cackling Geese, several hundred Canada Geese, many Mallards, 7 Black Ducks, 4 Redheads, Buffleheads, Northern Shovelers, Gadwalls, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and 1 Red-breasted Merganser. More areas of open water opened up today and so increased the waterfowl. Tomorrow’s warm temperatures and rain should prove interesting.

This afternoon I looked for the Loggerhead Shrike on Featherbed Road near Double Tollgate in Clark County. It was actively hunting and posting on fence posts as I pulled up. Location is .25 mile south of 340 on Featherbed Road (Rt. 644), near the mud puddle pond and along the perpendicular fence line around the Cedar tree in the field.

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone