Date: 1/10/18 6:57 pm
From: Todd Deininger <goldeneagle90a...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Subspecies of White-winged Crossbill (and other species) and eBird
So how do we treat SSp, such as Mallard or American Coot? Yesterday I swung
by LUNA and counted Mallards (
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41784615), I put them all down as
northern, should I have just left it as Mallard. Same goes with AMCO.
Aren't all our coots red shielded? My recent trip to AZ (
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41501896) I accidentally put AMCO
into both boxes, which one should I shift it to?

On another note, where does one find SSp. info that ebird is using. Of late
I have notice the northern House Wren has been popping up on checklists.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:25 PM, coloradodipper via Colorado Birds <
<cobirds...> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> This is another plea from the Colorado eBird reviewers. If you are
> tempted to use an eBird entry that has a parenthetical expression, please
> do NOT use it unless you understand what that expression means. As
> example, the Pueblo White-winged Crossbill has been reported to eBird under
> two (so far) different subspecies entries. Since there is no definitive
> proof of occurrence in the New World of Old World subspecies of
> White-winged Crossbill, one might reasonably expect that the Pueblo bird is
> referable to the New World subspecies. Unfortunately, much of the reason
> that there is no proof of non-New World subspecies occurring in the US and
> Canada is due to the fact that the species is little handled AND only an
> infinitesimal number of birders actually know how to differentiate the
> subspecies of White-winged Crossbill. I certainly don't, and I've been a
> rabid student of subspecies ID since I got to Colorado.
>
> Thus, the take-home message from this entreaty is that if you do not know
> how to differentiate a given subspecies, it's best if you don't report
> birds to eBird to that subspecies. Additionally, even if you DO know how
> to do it, views often/usually do not permit definitive differentiation.
>
> As with my previous missive here (on hotspot use), we Colorado eBird
> reviewers thank you for NOT using subspecies entries inappropriately. By
> refraining from reporting stuff to subspecies willy-nilly, you save us some
> time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony Leukering
> currently Guymon, OK