Date: 1/10/18 4:23 pm
From: Fawn Bowden <fawnda10...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Red-shouldered Hawk @ Coralville Dam + other Johnson County

Gail Heater and I found a spectacular *RED-SHOULDERED HAWK* this
afternoon while parked down by the Coralville Dam. It flew ~30' over us
and was beautiful to behold. We watched it perch a ways away and got some
so-so pictures of it through branches. The lone *AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN *is
still present there. We also found a single *RING-NECKED DUCK* there among
the *MALLARDS*.
At the Power Co. Dam in Coralville, the *AMERICAN BLACK DUCK* is still
present, associating with a female Mallard. Also of note there, was a
handsome male *COMMON GOLDENEYE *and a female *HOODED MERGANSER. *There
were *no* *BALD EAGLES* present! We also saw an odd thing, a dead CANADA
GOOSE, lying flat on it back on the ice. We could only speculate what it
had died from. It looked completely fine, except it was lying flat on it's
back (dead).
Rural SW Johnson County this morning, we found a large flock (200-300+)
of *BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS* feeding in corn stubble, that I'm assuming is
the same flock I found yesterday, a couple miles away in the same general
area.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eZ5IyFPLtMA/WlaomUOdyqI/AAAAAAAAA4s/9oeCbuZNiSkdHl272zVCGYs4mL6aSPSZwCLcBGAs/s1600/DSCF5364.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s30kEhXJkKE/WlatNNYmdNI/AAAAAAAAA40/i9Oiv0kS2kUWMC1ZEqaqk3Jcvj-JXZWHwCLcBGAs/s1600/P1330531.JPG>