Date: 1/10/18 2:44 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
At 8am the rain was letting up so we got an extra half-hour to decide where to go birding. We selected the Delta Ponds walkway, most of it macadam and from which all birds are easily seen. The waterbirds were all down in number, where there are often multitudes in winter. The “good” birds included a Snow Goose, an Osprey (rare in winter), a Green Heron, Black Phoebe, and a Barn Swallow. At very close range, we watched 3 Brown Creepers playing tag at the base of a large trunk.

Canada Goose - scattered small groups
Snow Goose - 1
Wood Duck - below 10
Gadwall - few indeed
American Wigeon - fewer than Gadwall
Green-winged Teal - maybe 20
Mallard - small number
Northern Shoveler - 4
Ring-billed Duck (Ring-necked) - maybe 20
Lesser Scaup - mostly on the river, over 30
Bufflehead - very few; lower than expected
Common Goldeneye - 2 males, 1 female on the river
Hooded Merganser - less than 10
Common Merganser - 5
Pied-billed Grebe - 10
Double-crested Cormorant - 8
Great Blue Heron - 5
Great Egret - 1
Green Heron - 1
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 1 adult, 2 im.
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
American Coot - 12+
Killdeer - 1
Mourning Dove - 1
Anna's Hummingbird - 3
Belted Kingfisher - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 7
Black Phoebe - 1
California Scrub-Jay - 4
American Crow - few
Barn Swallow - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 6
Brown Creeper - 4
Bewick's Wren - 5
Pacific Wren- 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 4
American Robin - fewer than 20
European Starling - low
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3 (1 Audubon’s and 2 Myrtle)
Fox Sparrow - 2
Song Sparrow - 10
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1
White-crowned Sparrow - 1adult
Golden-crowned Sparrow - several typical clusters
Dark-eyed Junco - couple of smallish flocks
Purple Finch - 2
House Sparrow - 1

Dennis Arendt, Scott McNeeley, Pamela Carpenter, Jim Regali, Kit Larsen, and Larry McQueen. Synthia Maulding and Cindy Carpenter went car birding around the Eugene Airport.

Join us on Facebook!