Date: 1/9/18 11:11 am
From: Bill Thurman <bill.masterofmusic...>
Subject: Re: Plastics in the environment- Caution- Tragic video available
In America, plastic is like the 20 foot alligator in the parlor room.
Everybody knows it's there and able to wreak havoc at anytime, but nobody
dares bring it up in polite conversation or actually tries to do anything
about it. Meanwhile the destruction of life continues unabated. It appears
that there is no end to this.

Bill Thurman

On Jan 9, 2018 11:21 AM, "Jeffrey Short" <bashman...> wrote:

> https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tragedy-of-mass-
> consumption-change-is-possible-chris-jordan-albatross_us_
> 5a4b6d4ae4b025f99e1d6caa
>

> When I visited Midway Island ~1980, on BASH (aviation safety) work about
> the Laysan Albatross “problem”, the main contamination (other than
> military facility debris) were those small, glass, vitamin containers
> favored by Japanese fishermen. Glass did not resemble any food item so the
> birds did not try to consume them.
>

> I imagine the plastic will also be moving through the food chain through
> seals and sharks which only “take” the birds that fledge and make it to
> the water. The young birds are dying on the nest so I would expect that
> the plastics’ total impact to be greater for the population.
>

> I wonder what effect the plastics have on the avifauna on Johnston Island,
> where I also spent some time, or on other seabird populations across the
> Pacific.
>

> If you see plastic in the environment, pick it up and dispose properly, or
> recycle
>

> Jeff Short

Join us on Facebook!