Date: 1/7/18 6:43 pm
From: tlaloc27 <rowoth...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Reichmuth Park Worm-eating Warbler, afternoon report (fail)
Despite concerted effort, nearly a dozen birders were unsuccessful at relocating the Worm-eating Warbler at Reichmuth Park from 1:00 to 4:30 today. We searched the countless clusters of dead leaves from eye-level down in the vicinity of the frisbee golf tee #3 sign, where the trail forks, both sides of the trail, and found several clumps of black cottonwood leaves that appeared to match those in photos from earlier today. Skulkers that did reveal themselves included Hermit Thrush, Orange-crowned Warbler, Fox & Lincoln Sparrow, Pacific Wren (h.o. for me), along with Purple Finch, Bushtits, Spotted Towhee. I’ve only seen one report that mentions it occasionally vocalizing; we all listened intently this afternoon without detecting it. Some of us also searched the muddy dead-end trail on the E side of the ditch into the marsh.

Who knows how long this bird has been at this site, but I’d guess it is unlikely to take off, given the current and upcoming weather conditions. Plus there is apparently available of food here, so I wouldn’t give up. Anyone chasing this bird in the next several days, however, would be well advised to wear rubber boots, as it was quite muddy today, even before tomorrow’s forecast rain.

I’m sending this message in the belief that sometimes negative reports can be just as revealing as positive reports. Good luck!

Jim Rowoth
Stockton

Posted by: tlaloc27 <rowoth...>

<*> Your email settings: