Date: 1/7/18 10:07 am
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Is there a rodent outbreak? -YES
All

Rodent population cycles have been studied intensively by ecologists, and they are still a bit of a mystery. Here the most cyclic rodent is the California Vole. Right now the voles are on a population high here in Half Moon Bay. They started being really noticeable from late spring last year. Barn Owls increased here in the late summer onwards, and are now quite common.

These cycles are understood in some respects, but there is still a lack of understanding on what really drives the cycle, and it may be a complex of various factors. Originally, it was thought to be food driven (lots of food, high reproduction, big population). But now it is often thought it may be due predator-prey interactions and disease. What is really odd is that the reproductive rate of the rodents changes over time, what controls the reproductive rate is not clear. It is also not clear why it happens, lowering of the reproductive rate is in direct contrast to a simple prediction from evolutionary theory, so it is clear that in these cases a lowering of the reproductive rate may actually confer an individual a higher chance of passing on their genes. This of course seems counterintuitive. Keep in mind that voles only live a few months, and generation times are short. So within a year, multiple generations have occurred. Lemmings, which are well known for their population cycles are relatives of voles. Our voles seem to have cycles that happen at about 4 year intervals. Barn Owls, White-tailed Kites, and Northern Harriers seem to be particularly responsive to increases in vole numbers and may be the ones that specialize on capitalizing on the boom part of the cycle.

But one does have to look at rodents species by species. I don’t think there is any evidence that in California multiple rodent species cycle in unison. If other species are high this year, it may be a coincidence with the vole cycle. Also it is not clear what the geographic scope of rodent cycles is. In areas such as Norway where this has been studied more, voles in one part of the country are not necessarily in the same cycle as those in other parts of the country. So while we may be having a high vole year here, it may not be the case elsewhere in California. In fact the lack of correspondence in the cycles is part of what the owls and diurnal raptors depend on. That way there are always some areas that are better for food than others. You could plot kite concentrations using eBird year to year and identify where the vole concentrations are in the winter!

Good birding.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>