Date: 1/7/18 8:34 am
Subject: Re: Woodcock moving to the coast during winter storms
I’ve been following the woodcock discussion with interest. They are indeed enigmatic and peculiar birds that we know relatively little about, particularly their short-range and long-range movements.

Based on my observations over many years, I also am dubious of any large movements of birds eastward during severe winter weather. As several people have pointed out, they winter in large numbers in the coastal plain, probably comprised of many northern birds, compared to much smaller wintering numbers in the Piedmont and mountains. It seems to me that under stressful conditions they tend to congregate in favorable places where they can find food (often in more open areas where they are more visible) AND they tend to alter their behavior to feed more during the warmer daytime hours, again making them more visible.

I’ve noticed this same thing in fox sparrows in eastern NC where I grew up. They would normally seem to be present in very small numbers except after heavy snows/severe cold when dozens would magically appear, literally overnight, feeding in flocks along the rural roadsides.

As far as mountain woodcocks go, I think they are probably permanent residents but subject to altitudinal movement depending on weather and availability of food. My experience is they seem to disappear during cold weather periods but then quickly reappear with warmer weather.

J. Merrill Lynch
Conservation Biologist
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC