Date: 1/7/18 7:13 am
Subject: Re: Woodcock moving to the coast during winter storms
Sheryl, I agree with you, I don't think we can ascribe mass movements of
inland woodcock to the coast.
It is possible that woodcock would follow river courses eastward since they
will often concentrate their feeding near flowing water when the ground is
frozen, but we don't know that they do this. Northern birds may move
farther south when heavy winter weather freezes the north.
But Woodcock have always concentrated in the coastal plain of NC during
winter- that has been known for decades- and most of these birds are from
northern breeding populations. Woodcock that breed in the Piedmont and
Mountains of NC may be permanent residents- the fact that they occupy
courtship grounds in warm winter weather across those regions suggest that
at least some do.
Back in the late 1970s when we were studying woodcock in winter near Lake
Mattamuskeet my colleague Tim Stamps found spring peeper frogs in the
stomachs of woodcock during a particularly hard freeze. The birds move to
seeps, small streams, river banks and sunny spots where soils melt and
worms, and frogs/salamanders become accessible. That much we do know.
John Connors
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!