Date: 1/6/18 9:58 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Is there a rodent outbreak?
MBBers,

San Benito County has an abundance of Barn Owls, even in the worst of times. However, lately I have counted more BARN OWLS than usual. For instance, last night I saw 23 Barn Owls, 18 of which were along John Smith Road. This road is only 2.8 miles long. I did not use playback or a spotlight. The owls are easy to see, either sitting on fenceposts or utility wires.

Although the dump is located on John Smith Road, I have not encountered such a high number of Barn Owls in the past. I did see 10 Barn Owls one night a couple weeks ago, along this same road.

I’m wondering if anyone else is encountering larger than usual numbers of Barn Owls. If so, please email me directly: <debi...>

If you drive this road, please do not use spotlights because Great-horned Owls also occur on this road, and they may predate the Barn Owls.

Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 42 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019