Date: 1/6/18 1:12 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (6-Jan-2017) lots of ice
Today (6-Jan-2017) John Cassady, Randy Pals, and I birded much of the Indiana lakefront.

It was a tough day with blowing lake-effect snow east of Dunes S.P. and almost all of Lake Michigan ice-covered. Productive areas were restricted to sites with open water. Our best bird was an adult Thayer’s type Iceland Gull.

—CENTRAL BEVERLY SHORES (mainly along Beverly Drive) NOTHING OF NOTE

—WEST BEVERLY SHORES (mainly along Beverly Drive)
Red-shouldered Hawk,1 adult
Blue Jay,5

—PORT OF INDIANA( mainly choked with ice)
Mute Swan,1
Mallard,25
Redhead,15
Common Goldeneye,8
Bufflehead,2
Common Merganser,10
Red-breasted Merganser,15
Herring Gull,70 standing on the ice
Great Black-backed Gull,4 adults

—PORTAGE LAKEFRONT PARK
Mute Swan,8
Redhead,15
Greater Scaup,35
Lesser Scaup,2
Common Goldeneye,305
Bufflehead,2
Common Merganser,75
Red-breasted Merganser,5
Herring Gull,1
Belted Kingfisher,1

—PORTAGE MARINA AREA (met Ed Hopkins)
Common Goldeneye,30
Common Merganser,30
Red-breasted Merganser,60
Herring Gull,15
Belted Kingfisher,1

—EAST CHICAGO
Common Goldeneye,25
Common Merganser,30
Red-breasted Merganser,70
Pied-billed Grebe,3
Herring Gull,90
Iceland Gull,1 adult- Thayer’s type
Great Black-backed Gull,2 adults

—WHITING REFINERY BEACH
Greater Scaup,5
Common Merganser,30
Red-breasted Merganser,10
Herring Gull,1 also standing on the ice

—WHITING PARK
Greater Scaup,1
Red-breasted Merganser,10
Ring-billed Gull,4

—HAMMOND MARINA AREA
Redhead,3
Greater Scaup,10
White-winged Scoter,1
Common Goldeneye,90
Red-breasted Merganser,10

—ROXANA POND AREA
Mute Swan,11
Gadwall,1 male
American Black Duck,2
Mallard,150
Redhead,5
Greater Scaup,1
Hooded Merganser,8
Common Merganser,8
Red-breasted Merganser,3
Herring Gull,30
Great Black-backed Gull,6- 5 adults & a 2nd-cycle (high count for this site)

—REYNOLDS CREEK G.H.A.
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Rough-legged Hawk,2 – a light ad fem & a dark morph
Horned Lark,3
American Tree Sparrow,10
Dark-eyed Junco,10

Ken Brock