Date: 1/6/18 11:46 am
Subject: Re: Woodcock moving to the coast during winter storms
Yep -- I stand corrected on the Woodcock coastal movements. Yes, I did
recall reading about a few of them, I think around Ocracoke Island a few
years ago there was a notable one. In places like that, it would be
obvious that there is a movement, when folks are seeing 10 or more in a day
during daytime. In a place like Oriental, back from the coast, it might be
a bit harder to tell, especially if people are only noticing one or two in
their yards. Folks like Nate and John F. have the advantage of living in
coastal cities and towns and can directly witness this. We don't get
Woodcock fallouts here in the Triangle or other places in the Piedmont, or
at least they are not noticeable.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 2:19 PM, Nate Dias <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Typo - 1892 not 1893.
>

> On Saturday, January 6, 2018, Nate Dias <offshorebirder...> wrote:
>
>> Exactly Guy. Woodcock move to the coast en masse during certain snow
>> and ice storms, showing up in very unusual environs.
>>
>> This has been documented and published about since Arthur T. Wayne's day
>> and before.
>>
>> Here is one of Wayne's notes on the subject describing thousands of
>> Woodcock falling out in Mt. Pleasant, SC following a snow/ice/sleet storm
>> in late December 1893:
>>
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sora.unm.edu_sites_default_files_journals_auk_v010n0&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=3IhR-0MBz_qPsJimWbgEqFw9IUZ4rNTUSjZwMf8bIZ0&s=zlVuio_l6zvkzn3L11O53XV0wx_m6UW0Ypr14jaWPJU&e=
>> 2/p0204-p0204.pdf
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sora.unm.edu_sites_default_files_journals_auk_v010n02_p0204-2Dp0204.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=uK5ljFBmGobFvcU7yAPG5vrXjcPKsYxsbQPpsrDcM_c&s=gkOhGEyc0ifEhUA8HRVFcTIh4Xc2MwbIxB9WNb6nizM&e=>
>>
>> sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v010n02/p0204-p0204.pdf
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sora.unm.edu_sites_default_files_journals_auk_v010n02_p0204-2Dp0204.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=uK5ljFBmGobFvcU7yAPG5vrXjcPKsYxsbQPpsrDcM_c&s=JZvFOY-pfA9s6WqG3DdHYaM5D0iztqWDPxyVsXMXKl0&e=>
>>

>> Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC
>>
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2018, <badgerboy...> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I read on this list a couple years ago about massive woodcock
>>> movements to the coast in cold snaps. My recollection is that people had
>>> reported large numbers of them and they thought the birds were NOT normal
>>> locally overwintering birds but rather that the sudden cold had pushed much
>>> higher numbers than normal into the coastal areas. Could have been a faulty
>>> memory though--anyone else remember this?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

Join us on Facebook!